For the pastry
- 1 sweet shortcrust pastry case A packet of ready made sweet shortcrust pastry with 40g / 1½oz crushed pecans mixed in
For the pumpkin pie filling
- 450 g Prepared weight pumpkin flesh peeled and cut into 1in/2.5 cm chunks
- 2 Large eggs plus 1 yolk use the white for another dish
- 75 g soft dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ level teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 275 ml/10fl oz double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- If using a shop bought sweet crust pastry case, use one that is 23cm/9in diameter and 4cm/1½in deep. If using your own pastry, roll it out and use it to line a 23cm/9in pie plate (not loose bottomed). Bake the pastry case blind for 20 minutes.
- To make the filling, place the pumpkin chunks on a baking tray, cover with foil and roast until tender. This will take about 20-30 minutes, depending on your pumpkin. Press the cooked pumpkin in a coarse sieve and to extract any excess water. Set aside to cool before blending in a food processor, or mashing by hand to a pureé.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl.
- Place the sugar, spices and the cream in a pan, bring to simmering point, giving it a whisk to mix everything together. Then pour it over the eggs and whisk it again briefly. Now add the pumpkin pureé, still whisking to combine everything thoroughly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Pour the filling into your pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes, by which time it will puff up round the edges but still feel slightly wobbly in the centre.
- Remove the pie from the oven and place the tin on a wire cooling rack. Serve warm or chilled (stored loosely covered in foil in the fridge) with some chilled créme fraïche or whipped cream.