Spinach Avocado Quesadilla
The perfect Breakfast
- 6 large eggs
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1 can 4 ounce diced green chiles
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped
- 4 whole wheat or regular flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon lightly crumbled
- 1-2 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives or green onions
- 1 jalapeño seeded and chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 avocado diced
- kosher salt
- Whisk together the eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula gently push/move the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine the green chiles and chipotle peppers.
- Lay the tortillas flat on a clean counter. On the top of 2 tortillas, evenly layer the cheeses, eggs, bacon, and green/chipotle peppers. Add a handful of greens (spinach, arugula, etc) on top. Then lay the remaining 2 tortillas on top.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, place the quesadillas, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with avocado salsa.
- To make the salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add salt, to taste.